Registration for Summer and Fall 2023 begins May 1!
The California Community Colleges Board of Governors has established system-wide registration priorities designed to ensure classes are available for students seeking job training, degree attainment, or transfer and to reward students who make progress toward their educational goals. MiraCosta College offers priority registration dates for students who matriculate, which includes completing the placement process, orientation, and a meeting with an academic counselor.
MiraCosta College sets student registration based on guidance from Title 5 Section 58108, which established a system of providing an equal and fair chance for all students to register for the classes they need throughout their college career. Please reference the Administrative Procedure 5055 for detailed information.
What is Priority Registration?
By completing priority registration through the onboarding steps, you may be eligible to register earlier for classes. Priority Registration is the best way to secure classes you need each semester.
How do you get Priority Registration?
How do you keep Priority Registration?
- Complete an Education Plan with an Academic Counselor within 2 semesters
- Maintain a good academic standing
- Maintain good academic standing with at least a 2.0 GPA
- Complete at least 50 percent of enrolled units
- Not exceed 100 degree-applicable units
What are registration groups?
MiraCosta College’s Registration Groups are broken into six categories. Each student is assigned an online registration date and time. Registration is assigned randomly within each group and start at 8 a.m. Students may register on their assigned date and time or any time after throughout the registration period. All students must check their SURF account to find their online registration date and time.
What Groups Receive Priority?
The groups identified below may or may not be eligible for priority registration based on additional factors; read Explanation of Priority Registration Groups for specific details.
Please be sure to check your online registration date/time and follow up with firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have questions.
- Active duty military
- Tribal TANF
- Student Accessibility Services (SAS)
- Homeless youth (up to and including the age of 24)
- Foster youth and former foster youth
- Veterans receiving VA benefits or who have been discharged from the military within the last 15 years
- Effective July 1, 2023, students with dependent children under 18 years of age who will receive more than half of their support from that student.